LB - Northland Motorsports

Home | Classifieds | Place an Ad | Public Notices | Galleries | Milestones | Contact Us | Subscribe | e-newsletter | RSS | GrandCanyonTourGuide.com
Navajo-Hopi Observer | Flagstaff, Arizona

home : latest news : latest news August 25, 2016


9/25/2012 10:45:00 AM
Dr. Angela Gonzales prepares to ride 1,539 miles on the Pacific Coast. Submitted photo
Arizona's non-farm payroll increased by 48,200 jobs in August

PHOENIX, Ariz. - Arizona's non-farm payroll employment increased by 48,200 jobs in August, primarily from seasonal gains in local and state public education within government, according to the Arizona Department of Administration Office of Employment and Population Statistics. It is typical for Arizona to gain non-farm jobs in August, but the 2 percent gain was above average for August in Arizona. The seasonally adjusted unemployment rate in Arizona remained unchanged at 8.3 percent. The U.S. unemployment rate dropped by two tenth of a percent from 8.3 percent in July to 8.1 percent in August.

Both government and the private sector typically have over-the-month gains in August. Private sector job gains (9,700) were slightly below the historical ('02-'11) average for August (10,300). However, gains in Government (38,500, 10.6 percent) were higher than average (26,900, 6.8 percent) for August. Government job gains in August were driven by local (34,700) and state (6,500) public education as schools increased staffing as schools resumed after the summer break.

Six of the 11 major sectors added jobs, one was flat, and four lost jobs in August. The sectors that gained jobs over the month were government (38,500) professional and business services (5,800 jobs), educational and health services (3,400 jobs), trade transportation and utilities (2,900 jobs), financial activities (1,100), and construction (900 jobs). Natural resources and mining was flat. Leisure and hospitality (-1,800), other services (-1,500), information (-600) and manufacturing (-500) were the sectors that lost jobs.

Over-the-year, total non-farm payroll employment added 55,200 jobs (2.3 percent). This is the third consecutive month for job gains above 2 percent. The average total non-farm employment gain for the first eight months of 2012 is 2.0 percent. Job gains above 2 percent have not been seen in Arizona since March 2007.

The private sector accounted for 98 percent (54,200 jobs) of the total non-farm over-the-year job gains while government accounted for the remaining 2 percent (1,000 jobs). Private sector job gains over-the-year were 2.7 percent in August. This was the sixth consecutive month of over-the-year job gains above 2 percent in the private sector.


    Recently Commented     Most Viewed
Mapmaker continues quest to document indigenous cultures
New documentary focuses on Native American veterans on Navajo Nation
Letter to the editor: Where do children learn to speak fluent Navajo?
Delegate Edmund Yazzie continues work for Thoreau, N.M. clinic
Pirates of the Navajo Nation under attack




Article Comment Submission Form
Comments are not posted immediately. Submissions must adhere to our Use of Service Terms of Use agreement. The email and phone info you provide will not be visible to the public. Rambling or nonsensical comments may not be posted. Comments are limited to 1300 characters or less. In order for us to reasonably manage this feature we may limit your comment entries to five(5) per day.
Submit an Article Comment
First Name:
Required
Last Name:
Required
Telephone:
Required
Email:
Required
Comment:
Required
Passcode:
Required
Anti-SPAM Passcode Click here to see a new mix of characters.
This is an anti-SPAM device. It is not case sensitive.
   


Advanced Search

HSE - We want to hear from you
Find more about Weather in Flagstaff, AZ
Click for weather forecast





Submission links
 •  Submit site feedback or questions

Find It Opinions Features Submit Extras Other Publications
Home | Classifieds | Place an Ad | Public Notices | Galleries | Milestones | Contact Us | Subscribe | e-newsletter | RSS | Site Map
LB - Northland Motorsports

© Copyright 2016 Western News&Info, Inc.® The Navajo-Hopi Observer is the information source for the Navajo and Hopi Nations and Winslow area communities in Northern Arizona. Original content may not be reprinted or distributed without the written permission of Western News&Info, Inc.® Navajo-Hopi Observer Online is a service of WNI. By using the Site, nhonews.com ®, you agree to abide and be bound by the site's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, which prohibit commercial use of any information on the site. Click here to submit your questions, comments or suggestions. Navajo-Hopi Observer Online is a proud publication of Western News&Info Inc.® All Rights Reserved.

Software © 1998-2016 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved